The ReStore is located at 7199 Stonewall Parkway, Mechanicsville, VA 23111. It sells donated materials as a self-sustaining funding source to help build affordable homes in Hanover and King William Counties.
Volunteer tasks include inspecting donations, cleaning and pricing incoming items, straightening and cleaning displays, and providing assistance to customers. Volunteers receive training and work with a ReStore staff member until they are comfortable working alone. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old. We have shifts Tuesdays through Saturdays, 9:00 am-1:00 pm OR 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm; Individuals wanting to work the entire day can sign up for both shifts.
Groups and individuals come together for a day of work on a construction job site, working on a home of an individual or family who will be purchasing an affordable home.
- Individuals must be at least 16 years old. Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Groups of friends, coworkers, or organizations are asked to keep their groups to a maximum of 10.
- If you have a larger group, let’s talk about a special project!
Here is some basic information for each workday with us.
- Construction is from 8:30am – 3:30pm. No one will be able to come and go during the day.
- Please wear appropriate clothing to the worksite. Baggy clothes, open toe-shoes, or jewelry can create safety hazards on a construction site. Keep the weather in mind! Rain will make the site muddy, so plan accordingly.
- Lunch is not provided, so please bring a packed lunch. There will be a 30-minute break for lunch usually around 11:30 am. Please do not leave the worksite during this time.
- Please do not use your cell phones on the site, unless there is an emergency. Volunteering on an active construction site requires everyone’s full attention!
- We provide safety and protective equipment. If you have work gloves that you like to use and fit well, we suggest bringing them.
Those interested in volunteering at a home build, are asked to visit our volunteer portal to sign up for a workday.
Our recycling crew is a very unique program for Hanover and King William Habitat. Each week, volunteers gather to help disassemble old or broken appliances to collect metals as well as collect and sell aluminum cans. Selling metals brings an additional income stream to help build affordable homes and make repairs in Hanover and King William. Volunteers must be 18 years or older.
When: Tuesdays weekly, from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (flexible schedule)
Where: ReStore, 7199 Stonewall Parkway Mechanicsville, VA 23111
Volunteers MUST register through the volunteer portal and talk with Amanda Gunter before working. (email or call 804-569-6108 x104)
In-Kind Donations and Pro-Bono Services are goods & professional services given voluntarily to help an organization offset costs. It can help us build capacity without increasing our operating expenses.
- construction material donation like lumber and tools
- office supplies donation
In addition to the types of opportunities listed here, you may have a specific skill set or professional expertise that could be beneficial to fulfilling our vision of providing everyone a decent place to live. Please contact Amanda Gunter to discuss ways to engage with Habitat!
Volunteers are asked to create housewarming gift baskets – either made of maintenance, kitchen, cleaning, or gardening supplies. They are intended to be given to our homeowners when they move into their new homes and help start their new chapter. These gift baskets are another way to help set up our homeowners for success. Individuals or small groups are welcome to contribute. To be fair and equitable, we only allow 3 baskets per Habitat house. Sign up online.
Individuals are needed to help with basic office needs in the administrative offices. Duties could include data entry, mailings, research, printing, and other clerical tasks as needed.
At this time, we are looking for individuals to call on when we need help.
When: Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm (as needed, with a flexible schedule)
Where: Administrative Offices, 7193 F Stonewall Parkway, Mechanicsville, VA 23111
Supervisor: Director of Community Engagement
Court-Ordered, Pre-Court, or School Community Service
Individuals interested in serving court-ordered community services may complete their hours with Hanover and King William Habitat. Individuals may also volunteer before a court date to help in their proceedings. Habitat can also take individuals or groups requiring community services hours for school or community organizations.
Hanover and King William Habitat CANNOT accept any court-ordered or pre-court community service for any of the following:
- Any form of theft (burglary, larceny, petty theft, coercion, fraud, forgery, etc.)
- Any violent crime (assault, domestic violence, etc.)
- Any sex crime (rape, sexual battery, indecent exposure, etc.)
This may not be an exhaustive list. Hanover and King William Habitat reserves the right to refuse any charges that conflict with the organization’s mission and vision.
Individuals wanting to work their court or pre-court hours at Hanover and King William Habitat for Humanity, MUST contact Amanda Gunter or call 804-569-6108 x104. If Habitat is not notified BEFORE volunteering of their intent and discloses their charge and number of required hours, an individual’s hours may be forfeited.
If an individual is requiring an official document as proof of their hours worked, the organization would need 48 hours notice before their due date. We are able to write a letter on official letterhead or notarize a document.